This War Memorial is located in the North-west corner of what is now St Leonard’s and St Mary’s Catholic Church, Malton. At the time of its dedication it was the Anglican parish church of St Leonard, New Malton; a separate parish from St Michael’s but having the same vicar. It commemorates parish members who died in the First World War. The church was closed during the Second World War, so no additions were made to this memorial. In 1971 the church building was transferred to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Middlesborough and once again housed a congregation and worshipping community.
To the Honour of the Men of this Church and Parish who fought in the Great War 1914-1919 and in grateful memory of those whose names are inscribed below who gave their lives for us.